There are 7 units which are to be completed from the CPC40110 Certificate IV in Building and construction (Building). These units can be gained through the recognition of prior learning, assessment only pathway. Upon successful completion you are issued with a statement of attainment. You will be able to apply to QBCC for a licence. In addition, you will be required to hold a QBCC trade contractor licence so that you can invoice more than $3300.00 per job. This can be achieved by completing the BSBSMB401 Establish legal and risk management requirements of small business, delivered face to face or via ZOOM. For more information see the QBCC managerial course on the Staysafe website.

Choose a course from the drop down list
Unit code Unit title
CPCCBC4002A Manage occupational health and safety in the building and construction workplace
CPCCBC4003A Select and prepare a construction contract
CPCCBC4004A Identify and produce estimated costs for building and construction projects
CPCCBC4006B; Select, procure and store construction materials for low rise projects
CPCCBC4008B Conduct on-site supervision of building and construction projects
CPCCBC4009B Apply legal requirements to building and construction projects
BSBSMB421 Manage small business finances

The RPL process or ‘Recognition of prior learning’ is an assessment only pathway. This means that the evidence you provide will be assessed by a qualified trainer and assessor to determine whether you have provided enough information for competency.

Information may include;

  • photographic (make sure you are in the picture)
  • video footage taken by someone you work with as long as you are in the footage
  • references from work colleagues
  • third party reports from supervisors
  • quotes and invoices for work undertaken
  • payslips
  • letter from your employer
  • any licences you may hold
  • any statements or qualifications you hold

It is the responsibility of the person applying for RPL to provide evidence which demonstrates that you have the knowledge and skills against each unit of competency you are applying for in the CPC40912 Certificate IV in Plumbing and services (Operations stream).
Where it is perceived by the trainer and assessor that there is still more evidence required, this may take the form of competency conversations with yourself and your nominated referees, challenge testing and practical demonstration or that you undertaken further training to gain the unit of competency.
There are 12 core units of competency and 3 elective units of competency in the Operations stream.
The RTO assists you with the process of helping you choose the right elective units to suit your work context.
Upon successful completion, you are awarded with a statement of attainment.

The cost for RPL only is $2400.00 with a 10% deposit at enrolment and a payment plan over a 3 month period. All fees are to be paid prior to the issuance of a statement of attainment.
Where further training is required this may include additional costs, however, it is on a case by case basis.

It can take at least 3 months depending on how quickly you are able to get supporting evidence to RTO. While the timeframe is allocate for 3 months, it may take longer. It all depends on YOU.

You receive a student copy of the RPL kit which has instructions, however, you are free to call anytime if you are unsure of what you are supposed to do. The trainer and assessor will guide you to the type of supporting evidence to collect.

We can create a google docs folder for you to submit your evidence or you can submit paper based evidence. The trainer and assessor will create a portfolio for your evidence.

1. Scope of work

(1) Install, refurbish, restore and repair a kitchen, bathroom or laundry on-site in—

(a) a class 1 or class 10 building; or

(b) classes 2 to 9 buildings if the gross floor area of the kitchen, bathroom or laundry is

not more than 50m2.

(2) Prepare plans and specifications if the plans and specifications are—

(a) for the licensee’s personal use; or

(b) for use in building work to be performed by the licensee personally.

(3) However, the scope of work does not include—

(a) building work which may affect the structural performance of the building; or

(b) personally carrying out any building work for which—

(i) a fire protection licence is required; or

(ii) an occupational licence is required unless the licensee holds the occupational


for a person who has a technical qualification required under one of the following licence classes:

 Shopfitting (trade)

 Cabinetmaking

 Carpentry

 Floor Finishing and Covering (Hard Sector)

 Glass, Glazing and Aluminium

 Joinery

 Roof and Wall Cladding

 Painting and Decorating  Plastering Drywall

 Bricklaying and Blocklaying

 Structural Landscaping (Trade)

 Roof Tiling

 Plumbing and Drainage

 Wall and Floor Tiling

 Structural Metal Fabrication and Erection

 Plastering Solid

2 years experience in

(i) the scope of work for the class; or

(ii) other work the commission is satisfied is at least equivalent to experience in the scope of work for the class;

(b) otherwise—4 years experience in—

(i) the scope of work for the class; or

(ii) other work the commission is satisfied is at least equivalent to experience in the scope of work for the class.