It is a daunting process trying to find out what the requirements are for each state if you are wanting to get your builder’s licence. You may live in Victoria, thinking of moving to NSW or QLD and not sure of what you need. This page is to help you determine what qualifications you have and what else you may need to to apply for a builder’s licence in that State.
To assist you in this process, we have put together a state by state guide on the technical qualifications you need to hold and obtain to apply for a builder’s licence in each state.

State by state guide to licenSing


What is ABLIS?

The Australian Business Licencing Service (ABLIS) helps you find the government licences, permits, approvals, registrations, codes of practice, standards and guidelines you need to know about to meet the requirements for operating your business activity in a Council area, per region and State.

It is advisable to do the ‘Guided Search’ by inputing your ‘business activity type’ (it will bring up a list of options, so be clear on your business activity to choose the right option) ‘Suburb’ which brings up the Local council area. From there you answer questions in relation to what you might need for your business. On completion of the questionaire, a list of results will appear based on the answers to your questions, which are ‘Yes, No’ questions. It gives you a full picture of what your business requires to be compliant.

This type of service is particularly useful if you are thinking of moving States and not sure what you need to have in order to operate in that State.